Recommending educational tools and scenarios for NIS education
Published on October 31, 2014
ENISA publishes today a new report with a roadmap for Network and Information Security (NIS) education programmes in Europe. The primary targets of this report are professors and trainers who have daily activities in NIS education.The report is also addressed to policy-makers in the field of NIS education, those that make the decision on what enters the curricula and which new courses are adopted.
The report is structured in three parts. The first part maps the courses and materials available while the second part presents the gaps between existing training/certification schemes and market needs, including proposals of scenarios to narrow the existing gaps. Finally, a list of recommendations is presented for further steps and an open call from ENISA is available in order to identify leading organisations best positioned to further work on the implementation:
- The authors suggest the creation of a Europass for NIS skills for the general public, very much in line with the model from CEDEFOP ;
- Deploying better continuing education programmes for teachers for enhancing the multiplier role they have. Solutions offered in scenario “Continuing Education for teachers”.
- European organisations and authorities should start developing NIS MOOCs. Section on MOOCs with examples.
- Developing a NIS course for health practitioners. Examples accessible in “Healthcare scenario”.
- Developing a Data Protection Officers (DPOs) course directed at lawyers and digital security specialists. Structure presented in “Data Protection Officers scenario”.
- Development of an EU information assurance training/education solution for the working realities of SMEs. Presented in “Small and Medium Enterprises scenario”.
- Development of an EU-based academic recognition for continuing professional development in digital forensics. Solutions accessible in “Digital Forensics scenario”.
Furthermore, we invite the reader to consult the tools developed through this project:
- The interactive map with NIS courses in Europe http://cybersecuritymonth.eu/references/universities
- The NIS quiz addressed to all users for updating knowledge http://cybersecuritymonth.eu/references/quiz-demonstration
For more information: Roadmap for Network and Information Security (NIS) education
Stay updated - subscribe to RSS feeds of both ENISA news items & press releases!