From start-up to enterprise: ENISA's recommendations on building EU cyber-champions
ENISA publishes today a study that intends to provide useful information to cybersecurity start-ups and small and medium enterprises (SMEs), in order to support their development.
Published on May 15, 2019
Based on feedback from key experts, such as founders of start-ups, venture capitals, incubators, accelerators and public institutions, ENISA identifies a number of specific challenges and opportunities faced by NIS start-ups in their development within the EU.
ENISA's report concludes with a set of recommendations to start-ups, SMEs, and entrepreneurs active or interested in entering the cybersecurity market. In short, ENISA recommends to:
- Carefully and clearly define product- and service-development strategy;
- Invest in building team with the proper mix of skills;
- Invest in compliance with standards or certification schemes;
- Leverage existing European clusters specialised in cybersecurity;
- Invest in networking and build mentorship-like relationships with larger enterprises;
- Understand the EU funding opportunities available and assess their usefulness;
- Pursue partnerships and events that will allow to position solutions to prospective customers.
This non-exhaustive list of recommendations aims to serve as actionable good practices to help cybersecurity start-ups better reach their objectives and potential as regards business growth. In particular, the report is helping in:
- understanding the start-up landscape from a technological and market perspective and determining what is currently established in the EU with regards to NIS products and services;
- gaining insight into the investment and funding channels available for NIS start-ups from both the public and private sector;
- identifying the main challenges that start-ups may face in their endeavours and ways in which they can address them;
- building knowledge of growth opportunities for the EU NIS start-up market, within the context of current EU policy frameworks, at all stages of evolution for start-ups.
The study is available here: Challenges and opportunities for EU cybersecurity start-ups
Stay updated - subscribe to RSS feeds of both ENISA news items & press releases!