After discussions with various experts in the relevant field (e.g. experts of the Working Group on Risk Management / Risk Assessment, other external experts) and evaluation of relevant literature [RM-Article], [ISO 13335-2], [Ricciuto], some open problems and needs in the area of Risk Management have been identified:
- Need to enhance comparability/interoperability of methods and tools.
- Need to identify combinations of methods to fulfill organizational requirements.
- Need to generate demonstrators and awareness material for the use of methods.
- Consideration of continuity and emerging risks.
- Generation of an installed software base of tools, methods and applications.
- Need for examples depicting the integration of Risk Management with other processes/disciplines.
The problems and needs identified are addressed in detail here. Besides the set of actions to address them, drivers to help readers better understand the importance of the identified activities are also given. Some of the detailed points of each activity have been formulated as questions in order to underline the related problems.
The priority of the identified problems and needs is expressed by means of a generic time window divided into short, medium and long term periods of action. A short term period of action is assumed to be 1 year, a medium term is 1-2 years and long term 2-3 years. The shorter its term, the higher the priority assigned to a certain open issue and its corresponding activities.