Master on Informatics Security
The master in informatics security aims to provide advanced education to professionals and researchers in the area of cybersecurity. In the course we strive to improve the technical knowledge and practical skills of informatics security of students that intend to rapidly pursuit a successful professional carrier in the area, and simultaneously strengthen the theoretical concepts of those who wish to undertake an academic carrier.
At the end of the course the students should:
- Have deep knowledge on the scientific area of informatics security, developed through research activities, of innovation or strengthening professional competences;
- Ability to comprehend and solve problems in new situations or in broadened and multidisciplinary contexts in the environment of a professional activity or research;
- Ability to integrate knowledge, deal with complex questions, develop solutions or reason in situation of limited or incomplete information, including reflections about the implication and ethical and moral responsibilities that may derive;
- Be capable of communication knowledge, conclusions and their underlying reasons in a clear and correct manner either to specialists or non-specialists;
- Obtain competences that allow them an autonomic development of their skills and knowledge through life.
Information and communication technologies (ICT) are today indispensable for the normal functioning of society. We are dependent to a large extent of the correct and regular operative status of information systems, communication infrastructures and mechanisms that provide the legal guarantees of the rights and liberties of citizens. Threats against these systems attacking their availability, integrity and confidentiality can have dire consequences to the normal activity of institutions. The problems with cybersecurity are not restricted to the physical frontiers of an institution, region or country, as such they constitute one of the great international challenge that needs to be addressed. Cooperation (regional, national and international) among the several players is essential to achieve high levels of security and thus contribute effectively to the regular society working status. Cybersecurity is also a topic that has been deserving the spotlight in the media. The impact of security incidents and attacks has been constantly in the public information space, illustrating the impact they have on society. In face of the constant evolution of technology and the increasing sophistication of security attacks, it is up to Universities, as knowledge providers, to participate in the creation of responses that society needs to deal with these challenges. The knowledge developed with the study and investigation on the causes and mechanisms that have been used as attacks vectors is the primary information to transmit to the society. The masters in informatics security places itself as a privileged opportunity for sharing this knowledge in a context of a “learning through doing” environment, where the student is challenged to connect the theoretical concepts and principles with the best practices. This allows her/him to elaborate and implement security policies, rules and mechanisms that are effective against the concrete threats and challenges that organizations currently face in the real world. In this masters, the student will learn how to use and integrate advanced security tools so to be able to plan and project complex networks and systems so to withstand concrete threats. This requires an ample assortment of knowledge and technical capabilities that, allied with sound principles of security and best practices, allow the course graduates to project and/or consolidate effectively the security in the institutions that they integrate or come to integrate.